Leanne Desbarats practices commercial litigation. She represents a wide cross section of corporate and individual clients and has appeared as counsel before all levels of court in Alberta and in private arbitrations, mediations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Ms. Desbarats has a broad civil and commercial litigation practice. Ms. Desbarats has significant experience representing clients in complex commercial matters, with a focus on oil and gas, energy and environmental disputes. Ms. Desbarats frequently writes and speaks on legal issues impacting the energy industry.
Prior to joining Code Hunter LLP, Ms. Desbarats practiced commercial litigation at national law firms in Calgary.
University of Calgary, JD, 2014
University of British Columbia, (BA), 2011
Areas of Practice
Ms. Desbarats’ areas of practice include:
Commercial and General Litigation
- Commercial contracts and dispute resolution
- Construction litigation
- Contract interpretation
- Commercial lease disputes
- Oil and gas leases and royalties
- Joint venture and partnership disputes
- Surface rights issues, property damage claims and Land Titles issues
- Contaminated sites
Publications and Presentations
Co-Author and Presenter at the 2018 CELF Jasper Conference, “Sober Second Thoughts: Litigating Purchase and Sale Agreements in the Energy Industry”, 2018 Alta Law Rev 2018, Vol 56, No 2: Energy Law Edition.
Co-author and Presenter at the Canadian Institute Environmental Law and Regulation Conference, June 2016, “Renewables in Alberta: New Policies, New Opportunities,” 2016 Alta Law Rev Vol 54, No 2: Energy Law Edition.
Author, “Limiting damages for loss of profits and loss of production under the AIPN 2012 Model Form International Operating Agreement,” 7 J World Energy Law Bus, 2014.
Co-Author of numerous articles published in the Canadian Association of Petroleum Landment Negotiator magazine including:
- “Check Your (Legal) Privilege”
- “Royalties are Not All Created Equally”
- “Honesty is the Best Policy – Honest Performance in Land Deals”
- “Negotiators Beware –Anything You Say, Type, Sign or Text Can and May Be Used Against You in a Court of Law”
- “Know Your Limits –Limitation of Liability Clauses in Energy Agreements”
- “Habendum Conundrum”