Versatility is our greatest asset.
Our clients’ interests are seldom confined to one area of legal doctrine — neither is our practice. We are barristers with the breadth of knowledge and experience to represent interests across a variety of legal disciplines. Our size and independence allows us to be selective in our retainers, ensuring the highest standards in advocacy while acting in the most intricate and challenging of cases.
Commercial disputes among multi-national corporations in the resource and petrochemical sectors are a mainstay of our practice. Supply contract breaches, inventory protection guarantees and pipeline construction liens are typical examples. Local and regional companies likewise engage us: as counsel in shareholder disputes and directors’ liability matters, or to protect proprietary interests.
Some of the largest corporations in the world retain us, and so do some of the most isolated individuals. Each client is ensured our integrity, trust and confidentiality.
In the Supreme Court of Canada we have argued public law cases on the protection of free speech at elections, independence of the judiciary, aboriginal rights and public school funding. In our regulatory practice we appear before professional licensing and disciplinary bodies, securities commissions, municipal planning authorities, the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER), Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) and Alberta Surface Rights Board (SRB), to name a few.
We have provided services to the courts as counsel for court-appointed receivers, represented other law firms in partnership disputes, undertaken civil fraud investigations for the financial services industry, and acted as counsel to professional disciplinary tribunals.
We are experienced in mass tort, product liability and class action litigation, acting for and against some of the world’s largest manufacturers.
Underwriters use our services to pursue subrogated tort claims, defend covered claims or coverage suits; others in defence of professional liability matters.
Individuals wronged by action or inaction of governmental agencies depend upon our counsel to seek redress. Employees wrongly terminated by employers call upon Code Hunter for representation. Defamation, malicious prosecution, trespass and all manner of private wrongs are prosecuted and defended as a regular part of our practice.
- Aircraft and aerospace related defence and subrogation
- Aviation hull loss, cargo and passenger claims
- Aerospace related transactional matters and financing
- Airport liability matters
- Breach of contract and economic interference
- Energy and natural resources
- Commercial leasing, condominium and real property matters
- Franchise and licensing disputes
- Patent and copyright infringement
- Insolvency and company arrangement matters
- Charter cases involving freedom of speech and political expression
- Judicial independence, division of powers and elections law
- First nations and aboriginal rights
- Negligence and breach of contract on the part of building professionals
- Enforcement of builders’ and pipeline liens
- Claims for delay, deficiencies and cost-overruns
- Surety, fidelity and insurance related matters
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Subrogated claims for workers’ compensation
- Corporate governance matters
- Shareholder oppression and derivative claims
- Directors’ and officers’ liability
- Restraining and compliance orders
- Securities fraud
Defamation and Media
- Prosecution and defence of defamation matters
- Protection of privacy and proprietary interests
- Defence of publishers and entertainment industry professionals
Energy and Resources
- Petroleum and natural gas lease and royalty disputes
- Enforcement of joint operating agreements
- Claims for trespass and unlawful taking
- Regulatory compliance and enforcement
- Surface rights disputes
- Environmental reviews
- Wrongful dismissal claims and defence
- Conduct investigations and discipline
- Audit of employment standards, practices and policy
- Enforcement of fiduciary obligations and restrictive covenants
Insurance and Product Liability
- Subrogated tort and product liability claims
- Professional liability matters
- Property and casualty claims
- Coverage claims and disputes
- Wrongful death and catastrophic injury
- Protection of privacy and access to personal and proprietary information
- Counsel to business in protection of confidential information and trade-secrets
- Privacy reviews and inquiries in respect of protected information
- Counsel to doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects
- Prosecution and defence of professional liability claims
- Professional conduct complaints and regulation
- Sentence appeals and judicial review
Public and Administrative
- Judicial review of governmental authority
- Municipal planning and development
- Criminal tax and securities fraud
- Energy and utilities regulation
- Securities enforcement
- Competition, anti-trust and fair trade practices